Recipes: Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Pineapples and cherries are wonderful on their own, but pair them with vanilla, butter, brown sugar and you’ve got a whole new world of awesome. This is the kind of show-stopping cake you bake for friends, family, and guests. Trust me, you’ll want to have it around to impress all the dessert lovers in your life! While there may not be chocolate, a peanut butter swirl, candy bars sprinkled inside, or frosting on top – this crowd pleasing cake can hold its own. You will bake this cake every chance you get.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- sliced pineapple
- maraschino cherries
- 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare topping: Place 1/4 cup of melted butter into a 9-inch pie dish or 9×2 inch (deep dish) round cake pan. Make sure it is a deep pan. Sprinkle brown sugar into the butter. Top with pineapple slices and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. See my photo. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars vigorously getting out any lumps. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into the pan. Bake for at 45-50 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil after the first 20 minutes to avoid browning. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Check if it is done with toothpick.
- Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate. Slice and serve warm, room temperature, or even cold. Try serving with vanilla ice cream – it’s a delicious combination. Cover cake and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.